- the total number of veterans who died by suicide;
- a summary that includes age, gender, and race;
- medications that were prescribed to, and found in the systems of, veterans at the time of death, and a summary of diagnoses that led to the prescribing of such medications;
- the number of instances in which each veteran was concurrently on multiple medications prescribed by VA;
- the percentage of veterans who were not taking any medication prescribed by VA;
- the percentage of veterans with combat experience or trauma;
- a listing of VA facilities with markedly high prescription and patient suicide rates;
- a description of VA prescribing policies; and
- recommendations to improve the safety and well-being of veterans under VA care.
The bill would require VA to report to Congress the extent to which veterans who died by suicide were being prescribed medications carrying "black box" warnings. It would also mandate VA to report prescribing policies related to black box medications.
Please write your Representative today to urge co-sponsorship and enactment of this bill. As always, thank you for your advocacy in participating in the Commander's Action Network.